Check that your Institute has a Bilateral Agreement with HMU. If you do not find your institution in HMU Bilateral list, contact your home Departmental Erasmus Coordinator or your home International Office. A bilateral agreement between your home institution and HMU is mandatory in order to become an incoming Erasmus student to HMU.


HMU has (5) campuses located in all major cities of Crete: Chania, Rethymno, Agio Nikolao and Sitia, while the main campus is located at the city of Heraklion as shown below.

Each one of them hosts  different schools and departments. Please check the list below to find where the department of your interest is located.



School of Management and Economics

School of Health and Welfare Services (Heraklion)

School of Applied Sciences

School of Agriculture, Food & Nutrition

School of Engineering (Heraklion)


After you have found a collaborating department with yours, you need to contact with the International Relations Office of your Institute so that you can be informed about the procedure you need to follow. If you are one of the students that your Institute has selected for studies abroad, you will need to make an application in HMU.

The deadlines for the application are the following:

Nomination/Application Deadlines
The deadlines for students’ nomination and applications are as follows:


  • Applications: Until the 31th of May.
  • All students must be present at the HMU from the 24th until the 28th of September.
  • Courses + Learning Agreement changes: Until the 12th of October.


  • Applications: Until the 30th of November.
  • All students must be present at the HMU from the 12th until the 16th of February.
  • Courses + Learning Agreement changes: Until the 1st of March.


Complete the Online Registration here.

Please make sure that:

  • the application form is fully completed
  • you have selected the courses you wish to attend in the application form
  • you have completed the “Learning Agreement”. To do this you can consult the Academic Coordinators of your University who are professors that are academically responsible for the mobility programs. They can help you with the selection of the courses, with the documents you need to fill etc.You can find the Academic Coordinators of your University at the website of your University, or by asking the International Relations Office . Then, you can show them the list with the courses below, which are the courses that are taught in English at HMU.
  • you have attached your cv (you can use the Europass template)
  • you have attached the transcript of records
  • you have attached an English language certificate

Note: We generally require a B2 English Language Level (the level is according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages -CEFR), unless it is stated otherwise in the Inter-Institutional Agreement.

The B2 English Language level is equivalent to a total score of 72 in TOEFL or a  total score 6 score in IELTS.

Please note that the EILC are special language courses offered to Erasmus students who intend to undertake a period of study under the Erasmus programme in a country of the EU with a less spoken language, such as Greek. These courses are organized and taught by selected academic institutions in Greece for a period of 4 weeks prior to the start of the study period. The University of Crete, along with several other Greek Universities, offer such courses. For more information on these courses you may look at the webpage of the Hellenic National Agency IKY.

HMU also offers Modern Greek lessons to all visiting Erasmus students at no charge.


At the table below, you can get information regarding the courses offered to Erasmus+ students. Please note that Erasmus+ students can either attend a lesson taught in English in class, or get a project in English. For more information you can also contact the Academic Coordinator of the Department, in which you intend to study.

The students who are interested in completing an Erasmus program for Studies at the Department of “Nutrition and Dietetics”, please click here to read the departments requirements. 

For any further help or clarifications you can also contact HMU academic coordinator of the host department.


After you have received the approval from HMU at your email, you must send to the International Relations Office of HMU either by email or regular mail the following documents.

  • the Student Application Form,
  • Studies Learning Agreement
  • Transcript of Records (in English)
  • Passport/ID card
  • Health Insurance

Make sure that the documents are signed and stamped and comply with the application deadlines which are:  June 15 for admission in the winter semester and December 15 for admission in the spring semester

In your Learning Agreement, you need to indicate the courses you plan to attend or the work plan you intend to follow.

The application form and the learning agreement/work plan must be signed by you and signed and stamped by your Home Institution Coordinator and sent to us via e-mail. Please keep in mind that both documents are not only mandatory, but also essential for the accreditation of your studying period in HMU.

Once we receive your documents, we will send them to the ECTS Coordinators who will check and sign your Learning Agreement or inform you about any problems/corrections. By the end of this procedure, you will receive your duly signed Learning Agreement, along with your Letter of Acceptance by e-mail.

As soon as the International Relations Office of HMU receives your documents and you are admitted as an Erasmus incoming student you will receive an Acceptance/Confirmation Letter, either by email or regular mail (only if required by your host institution).

Letter of Acceptance: The Letter of Acceptance is necessary in order to issue a Visa.  Your Letter of Acceptance will be signed and stamped by our Office and then sent both by e-mail and regular post to the Home Address that you have indicated in your application form.


Before travelling to Greece be sure that you:

  • Have made all the arrangements regarding your VISA (if required) and have your passport or ID with you
  • Have arranged all the health insurance matters, e.g. European Health Card (for EU-members), with your host institution so that to be covered for the entire exchange period.
  • Have arranged your accommodation.


You will be enrolled during registration week which precedes the semester.

The office will issue the Student Card and a document certifying your registration. Then meet your academic coordinator to arrange the details of your courses. Keep in mind that any changes to the original Learning Agreement must be finalized in the first 15 days of your exchange period.


As an Erasmus exhcange student you have rights and responsibilities that you need to know and understand. Please, read the Students map carefully. For any help regarding academic matters do not hesitate to contact the Academic Coordinator of your department.

Moreover, be sure to contact the ESN community of HMU. ESN community consists of Greek students that have already been abroad with student exchange programmes and their main role is to support and assist incoming students by meeting them at the airport, helping them to find accommodation and explaining everyday cultural events. 


Before leaving you should meet your HMU Academic Coordinator, inform them about your academic progress and ask them for a Transcript of Records (ToR) for your exchange period. The ToR will not be handed to you. There is no need to worry about this. It will reach your institution properly signed and stamped in a short period (normally within one month at most).

Finally, go to the International Relations Office and arrange any last details before your departure, e.g. any documents you need to take with you, like your final Learning Agreement, or Certificate of Departure, etc.

 We are looking forward to meeting you in Crete!!