Living expenses are estimated to be about 550 Euros per month distributed as follows:
- Accommodation 120-200€
- Food 60-150€
- Transportation/Commuting 40€
- Entertainment 200€
The following list includes the prices of some basic goods that determines the cost of living (speculatively):
|Item||Price in Euro|
|Bus ticket||Around 1 Euro|
|Bottle of water (0,5lt)||0,40-0,50 €|
|Bottle of water (1,5lt)||0,60-1,00€ (for a pack of six at a super market 1.50 -2.00€)|
|Milk (1 lt)||1,00-1,50 €|
|Coffee (at a cafeteria)||3,00-4,50 €|
|Beer (at a bar)||3,00-6,00 €|
|Cinema ticket||5-7,50 €|
|Concert ticket||20,00€ (varies)|
PLACES TO VISIT
There are several websites where you can find information on the places you can visit. To mention some:
- ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES
Chania surf club: http://chaniasurfclub.gr/
In Greece the banks are open from 8 am to 2.30 pm. With credit cards such as Visa, MasterCard, Maestro, etc it is possible to withdraw money from cash machines (ATMs) which are located outside banks and in many parts of the cities. There are also ATMs at the HMU campus and nearby locations as well.
- Public Offices: Monday – Friday 7:30 – 15:00
- Post Offices: Monday-Friday 7:30 – 14:00
- Banks: Monday – Thursday 8:00 – 14:30 and Friday 8:00 – 13:30
- Shops are open on Monday and Wednesday: 9:00 – 15:00, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 9:00 – 14:00 and 17:30 – 21:00, Saturday: 9:00 – 15:00. In touristic areas during the summer months shops have free working hours.
- Although pharmacies have free working hours they are usually open from 08:00 to 14:00 on Monday and Wednesday. On Tuesday,Thursday and Friday they are also open in the afternoon from 17:30 to 21:00. There are also emergency pharmacies which are open 24 hours and at weekends. You can find the lists of them on the doors of all pharmacies.
CURRENCY – EXCHANGE
In Crete, like in the rest of Greece, the euro is used. Coins of 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents and of 1 and 2 euros circulate. The notes circulate in values of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 euros. Before your trip, contact your bank to inform them about the use of your credit card and the withdrawal of money.
For more information visit the website of the Hellenic Tourism Organization:
INTERNATIONAL CALL CODE – CALLS FROM AND TO CRETE
The international call code for Greece is +30. If you wish to make a call from abroad, you should call +30, followed by the telephone number. If you wish to call another country from Crete, dial 00 and then the code of the country and the telephone number. You may also make calls from telephone boxes which operate with call cards.
There are 2 types of buses available in Crete. Urban buses that are used for the daily transportation needs within the city, and buses that link the major cities of the island with all the settlements.
KTEL AGIOS NIKOLAOS: +30 28410 22234
RADIO TAXI AGIOS: RADIO TAXI DIAS: +30 28410 24000
KTEL SITIA BUS: +30 28430 22272
SITIA RADIO TAXI: +30 28430 25527
KTEL IERAPETRA: +30 28420 28237